Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Airport MAP

     I really enjoyed creating this airport map. I would say I am quite computer savvy but I have never worked with a program this intricate and detailed. I was especially interested about the different layering features, graphs, and tables, all of which I was able to get my hands on in this lab. This lab also gave me an better idea of how GIS relates to the real world.
    I think that GIS has so many potential uses. It can be used for finding renewable resources, discovering prime building sites for construction, and to create beautiful maps of specific landscapes. My interest in GIS mostly because of its multipurpose capabilities. I would specifically want to use it to map out elevations and environmentally friendly building sites.
     If I had to mention any pitfalls it would be that the computer-based aspect of GIS is taking away from the original mapping techniques that I believe are also wonderful. I believe you cannot include the artistic aspects of a hand drawn map in a GIS map. Otherwise, I think GIS is great.
    Once again, I really enjoyed doing this lab and I cannot wait to see what the next has to offer. I really want to get into topography so hopefully there is some lab this quarter that includes that.

1 comment:

  1. The maps look good, but it seems you missed my instructions in class about how to post your work and for the write-up. Make sure you do what I ask for in class.

    17/20

    ReplyDelete